Are you ready to add a social media professional to your management team?
I am actively seeking a new position that allows me to leverage my 14 years of experience in community curation and social media. I can initiate your social media program or take the one you already have to the next level.
I seek a Director/VP level permanent position (no contract or project based work) in the greater New York City area.
- Avid participant in social media professionally and personally; implement and expand social media for businesses and brands; lead industry discussions on social media and community moderation techniques
- Experienced in all forms of online user interaction, community curation, content programming, micro-blogging, social networking, community standards, moderation and monetization
- Successfully utilize Web 2.0 tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, YouTube and wikis to increase user engagement to curate brand supporters, loyalists and defenders
- Experienced in development, expansion and monetization of social media, networking, branding and marketing
- An excellent communicator, I am the social media voice of the company externally and voice of the customer, social media evangelist, educator and teacher inside the organization
Social Media Professional 2011 – present
Independent consultant providing social media guidance and insight to businesses and non-profit organizations including social media strategy, internal training and education and social network content management. Also provide general business support. Achievements include:
- New York city based non-profit organization: Created a social media strategy and implementation plan and a social networking policy
- U.K. based social media firm: Consulted on the available social media tools for effective pre-planning and scheduling of messages on Twitter
- New York city based promotions company: Consulted on service bid for social media promotion to a Midwest based financial institution
- New York city based fashion house: Provided extended business services including assisting in year-end marketing audit
- One-on-one consultations with individuals to regarding monitoring and managing their personal online reputation (brand)
- Author social media related blog, Bottom of the Food Chain (http://bit.ly/botfc)
Bloomberg L.P. 2009 – 2010
Social Media lead for Public Relations
- Developed strategy and policy for the expansion of social media for this global financial information, product and news organization.
- Expanded use of social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube for 14 company business units and over thirty individual associates.
- Increased user engagement by 400% and company participation in social media by 9X.
- Trained Bloomberg TV anchors and multimedia staff on using social media in covering the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the first use of social media for the news department.
- Instructed Bloomberg Sports on how to best interact with influential bloggers brought in to preview a new analytical fantasy sports products and assisted in the live event.
- Planned the social media promotion for annual energy summit held in London and other local events.
- Trained users and monitor usage for many additional Bloomberg business units including Professional Development (HR); Bloomberg News; Bloomberg Law; and Bloomberg L..P.
- Implemented a social media reporting system to identify opportunities and react to brand related issues.
BusinessWeek, a McGraw-Hill Company 2007 – 2009
Director, User Participation at BusinessWeek Digital/McGraw-Hill Companies
- Social Media lead for BusinessWeek Digital responsible for user participation and interaction on its Business Exchange site http://bx.businessweek.com; managed a social media team.
- Created the User Participation department; interfaced daily with Product, IT, Ad Operations, Business Development and Marketing. Provided support for Sales, Circulation and Editorial.
- Led the viral marketing user outreach effort utilizing direct communication with our users on sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn; generated user brand loyalty.
- Drove social and viral marketing; analyzed feedback; approved user-generated content; performed user outreach; codified site terms of service; updated community moderation techniques; and fostered user participation.
- Designed a community moderation process including creating Community Standards; a crowd-sourced content reporting system; and a system for approval of over 1600 user-suggested topics.
Recognition: McGraw-Hill Corporate Achievement Award for Innovation 2009
AOL/America Online 1997 – 2007
Senior Program Manager at AOL LLC (November 2006 – December 2007)
- AOL’s Messaging and Social Media Group, performed reviews, analyses and forecasts administering a $10+ MM annual budget; created meaningful management reports used by the executive team.
- Responsible for the administration of all contracted Blogger agreements for our niche communities. Also involved in special projects and ongoing industry events.
- In Community Operations and Experience, responsible for the user experience on AOL community focused on Community Standards, Community Moderation and Terms of Service.
- Created a moderation team located off-shore (India) to take advantage of available resources and economies. Created and implemented standards, processes and training programs generating seven-figure annual savings.
- Updated Community Guidelines to reflect current Internet standards and the change to open access for AOL community content.
Programming Manager at America Online (AOL) (February 2005 – November 2006)
- Created content programming for AOL Community including Dating and Relationships, GLBT and the main People Connection channel hub page which received over 200 million page views annually.
- Provided the community component for sponsored online campaigns America Takes It Off (Good Morning America/EDiets), Chief Everything Officer (Dove), Having a Baby Changes Everything (J&J).
- Social media lead for new AOL product launches such as UnCut Video, AIM Pages and Shout Outs.
Sr. Program Manager at AOL Communities, Inc. (ACI) (March 1997-February 2005)
- Managed a team of 32 nationally located community team coordinators who in turn oversaw a large group of community leaders.
- Controlled content for various channels of AOL Community, including Love@AOL, Friends & Flirts and AOL Local.
- Programmed features, polls, and special projects such as 15 Hours of Fame and seasonal holiday content
- Created and programmed communities which included trivia games, idea sharing and celebrity interview content.
Recognition: ACI Award for Excellence in Effective Business Plans 2002
Financial Management and Administration Career (1977 – 1997)
- Held sr. financial positions in companies including Macy’s, Phillips-Van Heusen and First USA Bank.
- Experienced in management. contract negotiations, internal controls, fraud detection and electronic funds transfer
Affiliations, Memberships & Interests
- MENSA (American and International chapters)
- Public Relations Society of America (PRSA – National and New York chapters)
- Online Community Research Network (OCRN)
- TV junkie, Broadway and NY sports teams’ fan
- Obsessed with social media since getting my first PC in 1994 (we just called it Community back then)
Bachelor of Arts — Accounting and Information Systems
City University of New York – Queens College 1977